t
S
m
s
Babyart100 Babyart100
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Ok, so here's the thing. I am trying to figure out why I cannot consume certain types of foods. There's a correlation between a few food items. For example green tea makes ne choke, any seed oils cause massive heart rate changes and hives on face. Im also not keen on beansprouts, and aloe vera doesn't suit. All of those items have some growing/sprouting agents in them that I am hypersensitive to. So can any of you figure out please why i can drink fully grown black tea but literally choke on barely grown green tea? What is different in young tree leaves/spouts and fully grown leaves? What is that common thing that is in biological seeds, young leaves, sprouts etc, that disappears as the plant gets older? Mind i can tolerate fully roasted coffee (where that growth agent is cremated) but coffee made out of green(ish) beans i cannot. Many thanks!
Read 1854 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 years ago
Hi there, thanks for sharing your story.

It's really hard to say. Here I am, a biologist shooting blanks on a question. I'm assuming the plants which you are allergic to contain a substance that your body rejects. What that substance is, I don't know. It could be some antioxidant.

What is different between a baby leaf and a fully grown leaf?

Very little, if anything in terms of composition.
wrote...
8 years ago
A baby-leaf crop will now be defined as the young leaves and petioles of any plants grown for harvest beyond the seedling stage (after true leaves have formed) but before the eight true-leaf stage – in other words, any salad crops harvested before eight true leaves will be classed as baby leaves. That means products that are currently authorised for use in crops such as spinach, lettuce, chard, beet leaves, rocket, lambs lettuce and land cress can no longer be used on these crops when they are grown as baby leaves. They can only be used if the crops are grown and harvested past eight true leaves.

Leaves complete their growth within one week to several weeks, depending on the kinds of plants that produce them. At first, the unfolding leaf must get all its food from older leaves or from food stored by the plant. Soon, however, the young leaf turns a deeper green and begins to make its own food. Gradually, the leaf produces extra food, which is sent to the rest of the plant. During the growing season, the color of the leaf changes from bright green to a duller green. The leaf also becomes tougher because its cells develop thicker walls. During this time, a special change occurs in the leaves of deciduous trees and shrubs. A corky layer of cells known as the abscission zone develops where the stalk of the leaf joins the stem. This zone breaks down in autumn, causing the leaf to separate from the stem.

Read more - http://biology.tutorpace.com/
Tutorpace | Online Tutoring | Online Biology Tutor
wrote...
8 years ago
Thank you for giving us the useful information! And the link you shared is useful too.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  932 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79