p
n
C
z
buddah buddah
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
12 years ago
What are the effects of Tylenol 3 (condine, caffeine and Acetaminophen) on the activity of catalase the enzyme?
Read 6643 times
28 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Nothing to my knowledge. Tylenol 3 contains codeine and that is converted into morphine in the liver. Catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide into hydrogen and oxygen and is found nearly everywhere in the body.

In what context are you asking this question?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
what would happen if i added tylenol 3 diff concentration( low, medium and high) to the reaction of catalase and hydrogen peroxide
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
There have been studies that have shown significant increases in catalase expression (in mice) after treatment with 10, 20 and 30 mM acetaminophen, but codeine in particular, known to my knowledge. Remember, catalase is an antiperoxidative enzyme, so it's only specific for one time of substrate (peroxide).
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
i heard that certain concentrations of codeine acts  non competitive inhibitors to catalase.. it this true?
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
I don't think so either, although it could be a possibility especially since the concentration of catalase as you pointed out duddy went up, in order for the body to compensate for the lack of catalase, it needs to make more.
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I don't think so either, although it could be a possibility especially since the concentration of catalase as you pointed out duddy went up, in order for the body to compensate for the lack of catalase, it needs to make more.

what? i dont get it could you explain further pls
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
duddy pointed out that the concentration went up "significantly" in the presence of Tylenol (acetaminophen). If catalase is being inhibited non-competitively, it's no longer active, right?,  in order to compensate for the inhibited enzyme, the body says, I need to make more, and that's why the concentration of enzyme could likely go up
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
yeah you guys are right, i actually did the lab and found that the greater the concentration of tylenol 3 the faster the reaction rate which was quite surprising
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
yeah you guys are right, i actually did the lab and found that the greater the concentration of tylenol 3 the faster the reaction rate which was quite surprising

So, solved?
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
not yet lol Frowning Face, i need to know why tho, ive been trying to research everywhere but i cant seem to find out why
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
not yet lol Frowning Face, i need to know why tho, ive been trying to research everywhere but i cant seem to find out why

Didn't you mention that it acts as a noncompetitive inhibitor?
buddah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
yeah, but that doesnt seem to make any sense because if it was an inhibitor the reaction rate would be slowly rather than faster when i increased the concentration of tylenol 3
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
yeah, but that doesnt seem to make any sense because if it was an inhibitor the reaction rate would be slowly rather than faster when i increased the concentration of tylenol 3

Well, think about it for a second. If this is happening in a rat or human body, for instance, you get a build-up of hydrogen peroxide. As the concentration of H2O2 increases more than ordinary, the body's natural response is to create more enzyme so to get rid of the H2O2. As a result, you get an increase in catalase enzyme. However, this would only works in vivo, not in vitro. Was this test being performed/simulated on live rats or a live organism?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1030 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?