d
a
g
j
rks23456 rks23456
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
I need to know how to make a Punnett square and I don't know how to get the letter and if it should be Bb, bb, or BB as an example. Please help I know how to make and solve it once I get the letters and put tyem and the square but I don't know if it should be all capital all lowercase or one capital one lowercase.......PLEASE HELP I have a test tomorrow and the teacher didn't help me.
Read 1504 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Let's say for example the problem states that the mother has brown eyes and the father has blue eyes. Blue eyes is a recessive gene (and your problem should specify which is which) There is homozygous and heterozygous. Here is a list:

recessive = bb (b for blue eyes)
Dominant = BB (homozygous)
Hetero = Bb

recessive = brbr (br = brown)
Dominant = BRBR
heterozygous = BRbr
wrote...
12 years ago
BB- homozygote dominant (purple flowers)
Bb-heterozygote (purple/white flower...has the gene of BB and bb)
bb- homozygote recessive (white flowers)

B   B
b Bb Bb
b Bb Bb

The offspring will all be heterozygote (Bb), and will show the dominant phenotype...which would be purple in this case, but in the next generation, then 1/4 will be bb (white).
wrote...
12 years ago
ok so the letters have to do with dominant or recessive traits.
a dominant trait is like the stronger trait. brown eyes is the dominant trait over blue eyes. When it is a dominant trait, the letters for the punnet squares will have to be BB or Bb. most of the time the teacher will say dominant heterogeneous (Bb) or dominant homogeneous (BB).

a recessive trait is the "weaker" or lighter trait; in our eye example, blue eyes would be the recessive trait. For the recessive trait to show, it has to be recessive homogeneous; or bb.

in conclusion; if the teacher says something like you are crossing a heterozygous dominant with a homogeneous recessive.... you would cross Bb with bb
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1789 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 119
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?