a
t
i
r
buddy buddy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
A male black gerbil was crossed with a tan female. The litter consisted of four black and five tan pups. One of the black females was back-crossed to her father (black), and their litter had sex black and two tan. One of the tan males was back-crossed to her mother (tan) and all their litter was tan.

What are the genotypes to the original black make and tan female?
How would I draw the punnett square?
Read 811 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm probably asking a completely idiotic question in response to your question and you may laugh, but do you not need to know what alleles are present in each animal and whether the dominant or recessive alleles cause the outcome?
wrote...
11 years ago
One of the tan males was back-crossed to her mother (tan) and all their litter was tan.

Because all these babies were tan but the other crosses gave mixed color litters, black must be dominant (B) and tan must be recessive (b)

The original female was tan so her genotype was bb.

The orginal male was back so his genotype could be BB or Bb.

If his genotype was BB, all the babies of the first litter would have been black because the male could only contribute a B gene.

However, approx half the babies were black and approx half the babies were tan so the male must have contributed a tan gene, b.  Therefore, the original male's genotype was  Bb.

I can't draw a square here but here is an example that fits your problem. See:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/biology/core/blueprint/2470/answer1.gif

which shows the female's genes down the side and the male's genes across the top.

From top to bottom, left to right you'd fill in the square with bB, bb, bB, bb

Good luck!

On the top you have Female and two
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1319 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249