a
t
i
r
julesh22 julesh22
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I kno what anaerobic respiration is, but i want to kno all the details.
Read 588 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Pyruvate normally produced in glycolysis is converted into lactate if you are an animal. This is done by the NADP reducing it and therefore the NADP becoming NAD (oxidised). There is still 2 ATPs produced in this process compared to 38ATP produced in aerobic respiration.
wrote...
11 years ago
Takes place in the cytoplasm. If you want all the details here they are:-

Glucose converted by Hexokinase to Glucose-6-phosphate converted by Glucose-6-phosphate isomerase to Fructose 6-phosphate converted by 6-phosphofructokinase to Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate converted by Fructose bisphosphate aldolase to Dihydroxyacetone phosphate +  Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate.Dihydroxyacetone phosphate converted by Triosephosphate isomerase to Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate converted by Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase to
1,3-Bisphosphoglycerate converted by Phosphoglycerate kinase to 3-Phosphoglycerate converted by Phosphoglycerate mutase to 2-Phosphoglycerate converted by Phosphopyruvate hydratase(Enolase) to Phosphoenolpyruvate converted by Pyruvate kinase to Pyruvate.

2 C3H4O3 (pyruvic acid) + 2 NADH -> 2 C3H6O3 (lactic acid) + 2 NAD+  (in animals)

2 C3H4O3 (pyruvic acid) + 2 NADH -> 2 C2H5OH (ethanol) +2 CO2+ 2 NAD+ (in plants)

The NADH are produced in glycolysis by the enzyme
 glyceraldehyde-3- phosphate dehydrogenase and is used to reduce the pyruvate (2 equations above) and the NAD is regenerated and reused in glycolysis.

2 ATP molecules are used by Hexokinase and 6-phosphofructokinase when phosphates are added.

4 ATP molecules are produced by Phosphoglycerate kinase and Pyruvate kinase, giving a net gain of 2ATP per glucose molecule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1251 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741