s
c
k
m
Lexington Lexington
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Arenn't proteins broken down by pepsinogen, which changes to pepsin which beaks down proteins?

Why have I written in my notes that tripsin breaks down proteins as well? Do they also break down proteins?
Trypsin I mean. Active form of trypsinogen I think.
Read 422 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
There are many different enzymes that are proteases; that is, they can break down protein.  Pepsinogen is the inactive form of a protease enzyme that is released into the stomach.  It is broken down to the active form, pepsin, by the HCl (hydrochloric acid) also produced by the stomach.  

There are other proteases produced by the pancreas, and released into the small intestine, also to break down proteins; trypsin is one of them.  (Originally produced in the form of trypsinogen, the inactive form, and converted to the active form in the duodenum - the very first part of the small intestine).
wrote...
11 years ago
There are many enzymes that break down proteins. Pepsin is a digestive enzyme in the stomach which is produced when a precursor protein, pepsinogen, is activated by hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Trypsin is another kind of enzyme for breaking down proteins. It is secreted by the pancreas as trypsinogen and is activated by another enzyme in the small intestine.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1069 People Browsing
 177 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?