a
t
i
r
r
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
How many liters of each solution should be used??

2) Jack invested $40,00, part at 4% and the rest at 6 %. The annual return is $1740. How much money is invested at each rate??

3) Samuel has some quarters and some nickels. If he has nine more than twice as many nickels as quarters, and the value of his coins is $5.35, how many nickels and quarters does he have?
Read 616 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
/
8l of 55% has 4.4 l of saline
0.4x+0.6y=4.4
x+y=8
solvex=2,y=6
2 l of 40%
6l of 60%
wrote...
11 years ago
okay, i learned a bucket method that will help you solve mixture problems. draw a box in a top left, one in the top right, and one below in the center (sort of like eyes and a mouth.  inside the top left your gonna write your percent of your first item (i.e 40%, or 4% in problems 1 and 2 respectively) the top right box gets the percent of the second mixed item. (i.e. 60% or 6%). the bottom box gets the goal percent on the inside (i.e. 55% or uh..too lazy to figure it out w/o calculator but just figure out what percent 1740 is of 4000. ) below each box your gonna write the amount of each solution (prob. 1 you would take 8 liters and put it at the bottom, thats your goal amount. box 1 would be x and box 2 would be 8-x, the goal product minus whatever amount you put in in the first place...) (prob. 2 would be 4000-x and x and the bottom is the return of 1740). then for each problem you take the percents and convert to decimels. now, the top left box, take the inside and multiply it by the outside, do the same to the second box. add these together and set them equal to the product of the third box (outside times inside) and then your done...sorry easy to explain with pictures...hope i could help...d*** three probs huh? sorry, lets see...okay if nickels are x, then quarters are 2x + 9 (basic math word prob...) if nickels are worth 5 cents, then in a percent of a dollar you have .05, multiply that by x. ill refer to this as your nickel product. next, if quarters are 25 cents, that = .25 as a percent of a dollar. (dollar = 1 or 100%). multiply that by your amount of quarters (2x+9). this is quarter product.  now simply add nickel product and quarter product and set them equal to your final amount, 5.35
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1226 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?