r
obama obama
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
11 years ago
1. When measuring hazardous chemicals - the plastic flask is disposable
2. when measuring acids
3. when performing trace analysis and the analyte may absorb to a glass surface
If I have to use common sense, the answers would be both 1 and 3, but I'm not 100% sure.  Please answer this if you know this for sure.  Thank you.
Read 802 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Typically plastic volumetric flasks are used when performing trace analysis and analytes maybe absorbed OR desorbed from the glass.

An examples is estimating [Na+]  in aqueous solutions by a a process like ion-chromatography--if you acid wash your glass volumetric flasks then Na+ in the solution can be absorbed by the glass and then if you base wash your glass volumetric flask, then you may have excess Na+ leaching out into your solution.  So to avoid leaching out or absorption of Na+ ions, you would want to use plastic fvolumetric flasks.

The other instance you would use plastic vessels is measuring out solutions of strong bases like KOH and NaOH--glass slowly dissolves in solutions of bases--you will get potassium or sodium silicate in the end and glass is permanently etched by strong bases--so in these instances you would want to use plastic vessels

As regards acids--the only problem you would have is with HF--glass would be etched/dissolved to form H2SiF6 and related soluble compounds

So in reality All the answers are right in the proper instances.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1318 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?