a
t
i
r
Illuminatus Illuminatus
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Can you store whisky and brandy in a flask vessel made of pewter?  Lots of flasks are made for this purpose, but are they okay to use?
Actually I just did some research, and found that there are pewter flask makers that use no lead in their flasks.  So perhaps those ones would be safe
Read 455 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Pewter isn't safe. The lead levels aren't very healthy and they will leach into your food or drink. I love pewter but only use it for decorative purposes.

I'm absolutely not talking rubish. "Modern" pewter wouldn't actually be pewter. So If we're talking pewter, it's unsafe.
wrote...
11 years ago
scrgrl is talking rubbish

Modern pewter is perfectly safe, even for long term storage of spirits - it contains NO LEAD AT ALL.

Even old pewter is safe if it's the contents are not going to be in there for long, as there isn't time to leach out enough lead to be a problem.

And even for old pewter thre were different grades, the best had no lead in it at all, the 2nd grade was the best with 4 or 5% lead added, and the lowest grade had around 15% lead, but was never used for anything that would come into contact with food.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1274 People Browsing
Related Images