A
B
j
s
obarron2 obarron2
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hey all, i'm kinda stuck on some certain information.

Basically i'm aware that visual signals go from rods cones through the optic nerve and somehow ends up in the occipital lobe.

Does anyone know the really detailed steps between all that though? I know it passes through the thalamus i think, and simultaneously through the mid brain too, not sure what/for though.

Thanks all
Read 400 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Around 90% of the information from the photoreceptors goes to the lateral geniculate nucleus, in the thalamus. The remaining 10% goes to a number of different locations: the superior colliculus in the midbrain (to assist in controlling eye movement), to the pretectum (controlling the photpupillary reflex), and to structures controlling circadian rythms (sleep patterns).

The information from the eyes is split at the optic chiasm, before reaching the lateral geniculate nucleus: information from the left side of the visual field of both eyes is sent to the right hemisphere portion of the visual cortex, and from the right side to the left hemisphere.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1096 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587