a
t
i
r
Illo_88 Illo_88
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
*Note my answers are beside them. Can anyone explain how to tell if it is polar covalent or nonpolar covalent?
H2O =polar covalent
CO2 = ionic
NaI =polar covalent

Thanks in advance for the help!
NH3 = polar covalent
CH4 =ionic
Can anyone tell me if my answers are right or if any of these are nonpolar covalent. All I have in the question is the formula given above and of course the periodic table
Read 1009 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You can tell if a substance is ionic,covalent by looking at each of the individual atoms which make up the compound. Covalent substance is made up of ALL non-metal substances, and the atoms have to share electrons to bond and become stable. an  Ionic compound is made up of non-metallic and metallic substances,
As for the non-polar or polar bit, there is no way to tell from the chemical formula, although you can try out the substance by trying to dissolove it in water, if it does dissolve, its a polar substance and if it doesnt, its not.
Hope this helps:)
wrote...
11 years ago
Look at the electronegativity difference for each molecule. You will need an electronegativity chart to do so. If the difference is less than 0.6, it is just covalent. If it is between 0.6 and 2.1, it is polar covalent. Anything above 2.1 is ionic. For example, the eletronegativity of Na is 0.9 and the e of I is 2.5; thus I2.5-0.9I = 1.6  so the molecule NaI is polar covalent.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1318 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352