y
t
k
j
liz22 liz22
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Just a quick question, when writing an electron configuration my textbook will sometimes write it completely starting with 1s and sometimes start with a noble gas core. I am just trying to understand if under different situations I should be using one or the other or are they the same?

Thanks in advance
Read 320 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You can write out the full electron configuration any time you feel like taking the time.  The noble gas core configuration just exists as a shortcut for larger atoms.  It's convenient because it shows only the outer-most electrons, which are usually the only electrons we care about in chemistry anyway.  I typically use noble gas core configurations for any atom on the third row or below, but there's no hard and fast rule about which is appropriate in each situation.  It's kind of like using scientific notation.  Should you write 628 000 000 000, or should you write 6.28x10^11?  It just depends on what you're trying to show.

I hope that helps.  Good luck!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  996 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302