a
t
i
r
allan2009 allan2009
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
The biogeochemical cycles are exploited in almost all environmental biotechnology processes. Describe how the biotechnology is involoved in the following inductries. Indicate which biogeochemical cycles are involved. Include diagrams and examples of species utilized.
(a) Uranium Industry
(b) Sewage treatment
(c) Copper mining
(d) Soil bioremediation
(e) Ecological transportation
(f) gold
(g) Petrochemical industry
Read 1523 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Okay this is not my area of expertise, but considering how long and difficult this question is I don't think too many people will be jumping at it, so I'll at least get you started.

A)Fungi can act as biogeochemical agents and “lock” depleted uranium into a mineral form that won’t contaminate plants, animals, or the water (from ScientistLive, “Fungi and Depleted Uranium”)

B)Microorganisms can be used to break down toxic substances in sewage treatment (from Biotechnology4u, “Treatment of Sewage Using Microorganisms”)

For C and F I recommend searching for “biomining” in Wikipedia

For D, go to Biotechnology4u, click on Biotechnology and the Environment, and then click on “Use of biotechnology for toxic site reclamation”

E)Many algae, plants, and bacteria can solubilize toxic materials so they can be transported out of the environment (from http://www.eplantscience.com/botanical_biotechnology_biology_chemistry/biotechnology/biotechnology_and_environment/environmental_biotechnology/biotech_eb_bioremediation.php)

G)Microorganisms like Pseudomonas aeruginosa are used in the cleanup of oil spills (see Biotechnology4u, “Use of biotechnology in the removal of Oil and Grease deposits”)

Just as a general reminder to everyone out there, please at least attempt to find the answers online or in your books or notes before posting. I had no idea what these answers were but I was able to find some information online pretty easily.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1270 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion