× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
I am looking for a way to determine experimentally the water content in an aviation fuel. The Karl Fischer coulometric titration method seems adequate for this aim. By titration, the amount of water is known via a chemical reaction using a reagent. But I want a more detail result. So I was wondering if the method and the current technology used for this method can tell apart the dissolved water from the suspended water. I am more interested in the feasibility of this idea.Thanks!
Read 597 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Actually, it cannot, by itself.  It is just going to give you readout of the water content.  To the reagent, water is water, no matter if it is dissolved in the fuel or if it is emulsified or suspended.  The difference is the dissolved water exists as discrete molecules, the emulsification starts when the molecules come together, as you probably know already.

I used to do oil analyses for particulate contamination using an optical method that actually counted the particles in discrete size ranges.  We were interested in solid particles and found suspended water would artificially inflate the result.  I would heat the oil to dissolve the water droplets and then rerun that sample, the particle counts would always go down.  Possibly an optical method would work for you since the suspended particles are visible above a certain size while the dissolved water would not be seen.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1277 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4