H
a
c
k
lexiie lexiie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have an exam in bio tomorrow and i need to know how to do this therom. Any help will be greatly appriciated!!
Read 414 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
something about banging multiple partners and a mixed percent of them getting pregnant
wrote...
11 years ago
Try here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy-Weinberg_principle
wrote...
11 years ago
lol, weird I have an exam in Bio tomorrow too!
ARE YOU IN MY CLASS!?
lol, so anyways
you use 2 formula's to figure out the answer
your recessive allele is your q2 (say q2 = .5) . Square root this (0.5) to get q. q = .71 (round to 2 decimal places)
now you have q2 and q
now you use the first formula which is: p + q = 1
so you just rearrange the formula to 1 - q = p and put in the numbers you already have. So 1 - .71 = p. p = .29
now you have q2, q and p. now square p to get p2. so p2 = .08
now you have q2, q, p, and p2. now all you need to find it 2pq and so you use the final formula: q2+2pq+p2=1
so you rearrange the formula to get 2pq on its own. so its 2pq = 1 - q2 - p2
now input the numbers. 1 - .5 - .08 = .42
2pq = .42
so p2 = Homozygous dominant genotype (AA) 2pq = Heterozygous (Aa),  q2 = homozygous recessive (aa), p = dominant allele, q = recessive allele
NOTE - Numbers are ALWAYS below one (decimals) so if they give it to you in a percentage, convert it to a decimal. (if you don't know - say you got 42% on something go 42/100 = .42 and theres your decimal. Easy)
And that, is your Hardy Weinberg equilibrium.
wrote...
11 years ago
the hardy-wienberg equilibrium is pretty much about genetics: it states that when the conditions/environments don't change, and no new genes are added to the gene pool, sooner or later all the genes will be the same (all cats will be black and white with short tails and green eyes, for example). it's when a population doesn't evolve. It's pretty much impossible to achieve.
the formulas are: p +q = 1 (p and q are different alleles of a gene; R and r for example) and p^2+2pq+q^2 = 1
hope this helps!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1277 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?