a
t
i
r
Juliakg1 Juliakg1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Since blood type AB has both A and B antigens and blood type A has B antibodies, If blood type A donates to AB, wont the B antibodies of Blood type A, attack the B antigens of blood type AB leading to a reaction?

So how is blood type AB the universal recipient?
@victoria I know that! I asked a question that wasn't answered by you.
I'm trying to say, won't the donor blood have the anti-bodies that would attack the recipient blood?
Read 497 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
No, if you have AB blood, then you can receive A, B, AB, O
wrote...
11 years ago
Red blood cells of a person with AB blood, would have A and B antigens on their surface. This means that their immune system will not produce antibodies for A or B, otherwise they will end up killing their own cells - all of them, since organs also have the antigens on their surface. The reason they can receive blood from anyone else is because there are only A and B antigens, which their immune system won't attack. O blood type has no antigen, or more accurately a neutral type of antigen that everyone has. So they can also receive O.

You are right; the donor's antibodies will attack the hosts cells, but they don't give the plasma with the cells. Giving plasma is the opposite - AB plasma can be given to anyone, while O plasma can only be given to O.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1239 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249