a
t
i
r
anneheey98 anneheey98
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
With potato chips laying 24 hours in a lactate solution, I found a growth in mass at 0,60 %. However, at the other solutions (maltose, glucose, fructose, sucrose), I found an decrease in mass from -2 to -12 %. How is this that lactate is increases?
Read 401 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
7 years ago
Did you do repeats of the same concentration? If you did and the results were consistent, then there's an underlying reason I don't fully know BECAUSE if you're using the same membrane, osmosis rate shouldn't be affected. Several factors affect osmosis including temperature, surface area, difference in water potential, pressure and concentration gradient.

The document below might also provide some insight!

Giving the concentration of solutions in percent by weight can lead to problems when studying osmosis. For example, in comparing a 10% solution of glucose and a 10% solution of sucrose (Fig. 3), each has the same
weight of sugar (10g per 90g H2O), but because glucose is about half the size of sucrose, the glucose solution has about twice the concentration of dissolved solute molecules. This means that the 10% glucose solution has almost twice the osmotic strength of the 10% sucrose solution.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
anneheey98 Author
wrote...
7 years ago
I used the mol mass, for example 342, divided that by 10, and then divided by 2.
If the mol mass of another sugar is 180, I did the same.

Mixed with 100 ml of water.
So it should be the same amount of molecules in each solution.
However, I will repeat and double check.
The samples were put in a semi-dark locker, where the temp is consistent, and the other factors affecting osmosis are constant as well.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
7 years ago
Yup, you need replicates
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
anneheey98 Author
wrote...
7 years ago
I had three replicates during the experiment, but will do once more just in case
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1369 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431