a
t
i
r
microbioflop microbioflop
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
and base on this information, can we safely say that all mutations are bad?

and last question: What kinds of blood cell does a person heterozygous for this disease have?

Im sorry if i ask too many questions XD
im not good at Biology XD

thanks in Advance!
Can you make it simpler?
I can't understand it.....XD
Read 344 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
If you mean hetrozygous for sickle cell, this trait is useful in areas where malaria is endemic.  The hetrozygous form of the disease causes slight twisting in low-oxygen conditions and this twisting is sufficient to crush the malarial parasite in infected cells and prevent them from living and reproducing.  Please note that two copies of the gene are fatal.

Certainly not all mutations are bad.  The majority of them are probably neutral and a very small number are beneficial.  Some genetic disease persists because although they shorten life, they do not prevent the carrier from reproducing.

One example of this is Huntington's Chorea, which destroys the nervous system in later life.  Until recently, there was no way for anyone to know whether he or she was afflicted with this gene and since the person would have already had children before the disease emerged, no way to stop it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1257 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?