t
m
p
m
RLeanne RLeanne
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
How would I design a experiment to identify a pathogen from honey and the same one in infant feces to prove that is where it came from?
Read 485 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Isolate the bacteria from the honey and identify them.

You should never give honey to a baby.
wrote...
11 years ago
You are looking to fulfill Koch's Postulates.  You will need to make sure the Pathogen is present in every case.  Then Isolate it from the Host.  After Isolation, you will need to infect a new, susceptible host.  Finally you will need to re-isolate the pathogen.  I would look up Koch's Postulates if I were you.  

Good luck
wrote...
11 years ago
Typically in a food-borne disease outbreak investigation you would first do a stool culture. Then, you would try to isolate the organism from the food. You would then get the subtype(s) from Pulse-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE). If the subtypes match, you can be pretty sure that the source of the pathogen is the honey.  

The only tricky part here is that you mentioned honey, and infant. Which makes one think of Botulism. Botulism is caused by Clostridium botulinum, which is an anaerobic spore forming organism. The bacteria are not present in the honey, but the endospores are. So, in order to isolate the endospores from the honey, and allow the pathogen to grow, you would need to follow strict procedures. The 1979 JCM article referenced below describes one method, although there are probably polymerase chain reaction (PCR) methods available today.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  921 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 357