s
a
t
i
r
ilocanababy ilocanababy
wrote...
11 years ago
Does the life-time of the battery shorten if we keep re-charging it when it's half-full ?

For example the electric-fueled car producers claim that we don't have to go to the fueling stations anymore, we can just re-charge our car in our house with a power supply. However, eventually, we will have to recharge the car several times when the battery is not completely empty. Does this have a negative impact on the lifetime of the Lithium-Ion battery?
Read 363 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
ilibee Author
wrote...
11 years ago
No, the battery will handle that fine.

tony1995 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
it will develop a memory, and only hold that much of a charge...

Example..

Your battery when new lasts 2 hours.

You use it for an hour...

you charge it...

Now the battery thinks that when fully charged, it only lasts an hour...

Why, I do not know, just know what happens...
wrote...
11 years ago
Lithium-ion technology does not suffer from the "memory effect" that some of us remember from the old Nickel-cadmium batteries.  LI will handle a partial charge-discharge cycle without any long term problems.
wrote...
11 years ago
This should be fine.  Li-Ion batteries may suffer from repeated deep cycles (completely discharging then completely charging), although I'm not 100% sure.  Anything else should be fine, though.
wrote...
11 years ago
Doushebag is likely wrong. Memory is a peculiarity of nickle-cadmium batteries. Most other types of batteries do better with frequent slow charge. Lithium ion batteries are better in almost all ways. Disadvantages are initial cost, lithium ion batteries deteriorate if they are excessively discharged below about 3 volts, or excessively charged over about 3.7 volts, per cell. Computers can solve these problems before the deterioration begins, but experienced humans can coax some more usable life out of partially deteriorated lithium ion batteries.    Neil
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1261 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328