t
i
r
r
007nahid 007nahid
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I know they're different, but do I need to work really harder for the MCAT than I did for the SAT, I didn't start preparing for the MCAT yet but I'm getting ready to start and just wanted to know how harder it is than the SAT.
Read 617 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The sections on the MCAT are
Physical Sciences (Chem/Physics)
Verbal (Sorta SAT'ish)
Writing (Sorta SAT'ish)
Biological Sciences (Bio/Orgo)

The overall test feels like it takes an eternity.  I remember walking out and saying to myself... there's no way I'm going to take that again.  The level of difficulty isn't so bad but it's definitely something that you need to prepare for.  The MCAT is a different style - they give you short readings on each topic and then base their questions off the passage (even for subjects like physics).  I'd recommend starting early and doing all the practice tests you can get your hands on through AAMC.  You may also find Kaplan helpful but don't waste your money enrolling in a taught course.  Use Kaplan as another source for practice questions.

In general the first time you take the MCAT just to see what it looks like... dont concern yourself with the score.  Then tailor your studies towards the way the MCAT is organized and your score will rise with test after test.  Eventually your score will plateau and you'll know what you're capable of

In my opinion the MCAT was harder than the SAT but thats cause  I could guarantee a 800 on SAT math with my eyes closed.

The funny thing is.. once you get to med school you're gonna realize that studying for tests in med school is even harder than studying for the MCAT.

Best of luck to you
wrote...
11 years ago
The mcat is graded on a curve so the test may not seem harder but you are being graded in a competitive manner. I scored in all double digits, 87th percentile and still didn't get in to med school the first two years I applied. Don' be a slacker. Take every part of the application process seriously if you think medicine will be your passion.
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm going to be entirely frank with you about this.  Every blockhead in every high school in the nation that wants to go to college and do beer bongs takes the SAT.  

The SAT is a way that the more competitive schools can pre-sort applicants who can demonstrate that they have a history of being able to learn basics.  Less competitive schools can use it to set minimum criteria for performance in order to make sure that applicants who are admitted are prepared to make use of the educational opportunity.

The MCAT is an entrance exam for medical school.  The top fractions of college students across the nation take this test.  Every one of them is accustomed to performing strongly on exams.  Medical schools receive large numbers of applications, in fact, far more than there are available positions.  All of these applications come from people who have done quite well in college and who are aggressively seeking professional training.  

If your goal is to matriculate in medical school, you have to take this process seriously.  You are in direct competition with people who are doing just that!  Yes, you can take the test more than once, however this information is available to the admissions committees.  The applicant who does a mediocre job, but then repeats and does well raises more questions than the one that just takes the test and does a stellar job!  

Remember, when the admissions committee is looking at literally over a thousand forms in order to fill a class of 150, they will use whatever sort handles they can to discard an application before they have to examine it in detail.  Test scores and GPA top the list.

The question isn't how much harder the MCAT is than the SAT, the question is whether or not you are ready to undertake a lifestyle that involves uncompromising pursuit of excellence in all things academic.  If you are, then the result of the test will be a secondary benefit stemming from your eager and heartfelt search for knowledge.

If you want to enter medicine, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard.  This is a world in which error has extremely harsh consequences.  When you're at the bedside of a sick patient in a critical situation, being only 90% correct about things will kill the patient 100% of the time!
wrote...
11 years ago
The MCAT invovles a huge amount of science review.  It is a much more competitive exam than the SAT and will require ideally 6 to 8 months or more of prep.

A lot of your success on the MCAT depends on mastering special timing and testing strategies.  Many people get questions wrong even though they knew the science.  This is because the test has overwhelmed their ability to organize complex info and to use their time effectively.

I've got a huge amount of free info about med school admissions on my MedTrack system.  See http://www.cuttsreviews.com/jcutts/mcat/

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1384 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328