m
p
m
f
firestorm5 firestorm5
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
How much will majoring in the sciences help once you're in medical school? I'm doing a double major in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. I love what I'm studying. But will I have an easier time in Med School than those who didn't major in any of the sciences?
Read 494 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You may have a bit of an easier time, but the main reason why most med school applicants major in sciences is because all the pre-requsite courses needed for med school are already included in the major.  

For instance, biology, chemistry, organic, calculus, biochemistry, physics, microbiology, etc. and more depending on the school are needed to just apply to med school.  Now you could major in philosophy or such, and some do, but you'd need to get ALL those classes in as well.  Most find it convenient to already choose a major that includes it.  You will probably have an easier time with the MCAT as well.
wrote...
11 years ago
Biochemistry will prepare you for Pharmacology and Molecular Biology will do the same for Genetics. Just add a decent touch of preparation for Anatomy and patient-doctor relationships. Good luck!
wrote...
11 years ago
most likely yes. The guy next to you with the double major in musical theater and Comparative English Lit is most likely not going to be much competition for you when they are weeding out applicants for Med School!
wrote...
11 years ago
Absolutely yes. You'll have a few people in your class who majored in English or whatever and you will have a head start on those people. It's true that you'll be relearning much of what you already learned and going into more depth, but that's good for you.

Most major in the sciences for a reason -- every scrap of knowledge helps. I don't mean to disparage other majors, but they really are at a disadvantage.
wrote...
11 years ago
As someone who has BEEN through med school and did NOT major in a science, I respectfully disagree with the other answerers.  You may do a little better in the subjects with which you have familiarity, but your classmates will be right there with you, regardless of what they majored in.

They choose people for medical school who can learn quickly and have broad interests.  You may find a music major who absolutely blows you away in most of your classes.  Remember, he/she took all the med school pre-requisites in his/her spare time, and still got a spot in med school.

Good luck with college and med school.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  937 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 7
Closes: November 4