a
t
i
r
Julia Julia
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
THE MAIN THING IS WHETHER 40% FBS effects the growth of the cells of does it help in more growth of the cells?
Read 612 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Well - those conditions *might* cause some white blood cells to grow, but the RBCs are anucleated and will not divide.

Serum contains growth factors that "keep cells happy" and stop them dying by apoptosis; for some cells, it also induces them to grow. The white blood cells might intrepret these conditions as a sort of "pro-inflammatory" signal, which might therefore induce them to multiply. Unless they are transformed cells, however, they will still only divide a limited number of times.

Good luck.
wrote...
11 years ago
The short answer is no. Unless you're trying to culture circulating fibroblast stem cells (which would require a *lot* of blood), most of the cells in your blood cannot be cultured. White blood cells in your blood do not normally continue to proliferate unless they are cancerous. Red blood cells lack a nucleus. I would suggest using a primary culture of bone marrow tissue, which contains haemopoetic stem cells that give rise to blood cells.

Also, 40% FBS is too high for any type of culture, I imagine cells will grow fine in such high levels of serum, but think of the cost! Most types of cells grow fine in 10~20% serum, and some require even less.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1326 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?