a
t
i
r
102228r 102228r
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have read that Interferon and Peg-Interferon treatment is most effective in patients with Hepatitis C.  However, I have been told my some sources that it is not recommended in children under age 18.  Other sources do not specify.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Thanks.
Edited to add that he is out of treatment options and has been given 6 months to live.  (He is not a U.S. citizen and is trying to get a medical visa to come here for treatment.
Read 447 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The treatment has so many side effects that a young person could have a lot of trouble handling.
Answer accepted by topic starter
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 280 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
PEG-interferon and Rebetron (ribavirine) are recommended for children of the age 5-18 with chronic hepatitis C. The duration of this combination treatment depends on HCV genotype (24-48 weeks). The effectivity of the treatment, and the side effects are comparable to the adult group. The effectivity and indications in younger children remain unclear.
wrote...
11 years ago
Jasiek and Bayla have it most correct! Doctors will only treat a patient if specific tests indicate the need for treatment. In this case, this child probably would be administered interferon.

I would call the American Liver Foundation and ask some questions. They may even help you find a pediatrician that can treat him. Be prepared to travel however, there are about 146,000 children in the US alone with HCV. Very few do treatment because the disease normally doesn't progress like it does in Adults.

Best of luck and hugs to this little guy. (If he is age 3 or more, he will be of age to do treatment).

Mama....children can tolerate treatment much easier than some adults. Notice I said SOME. Most of us do JUST FINE on treatment!
wrote...
11 years ago
We have a 17 year old in our support group who is halfway through treatment. She spoke on the steps of the Capitol building in Tallahassee on World Hepatitis Day (May 19). She is doing well. Treatment beats the hell out of dying. If people are educated about treatment and side effect management, they are usually able to manage the side effects well enough to adhere to treatment. Adherence to treatment = your best chance of a sustained response. Treatment is temporary; a year of dealing with fatigue and nausea is a small price to pay for having the rest of your life to live without HCV. Best wishes.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1218 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352