a
t
i
r
flower555 flower555
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
13 years ago
There are different experiments that we have to do and we have to make a hypothesis and answer the questions. Can u please make up the hypothesis.

Experiment A:
Purpose: to observe the shape of an ionic solid and a covalent solid.

Hypothesis: I think the ionic solid will/will not display a regular orderly crystal shape. The reason I think this is ……

*This experiment uses salt( ionic bond) and sugar (covalent bond)*

Which solid has greater definition and regularity?
Which solid is a crystal lattice with intermolecular bonding?
Draw the intermolecular bonds of the crystal lattice stricture.
How would intermolecular bonding change the physical properties of substance?
Using your results from this test make one inductive conclusion about the geometric shape of ionic and covalent solids.

Experiment B:
Purpose: to test which substance is harder the ionic solid or the covalent solid.

Hypothesis: I think the ionic/covalent solid will be the hardest. The reason I think is…..

-Which solid was harder to break?
-Which solid has larger and more regular cleavage planes?
-Explain why cleavage planes on molecules of one type of bonding would differ in their hardness from molecules of another type of bonding.
- Can you imagine a case where an ionic solid and a covalent solid might be equal in their hardness? Describe the molecular structure of these (imaginary or real) example substances.

Experiment D :

Purpose: To test which of the two solids has a higher melting point.

Hypothesis: I think the ionic/covalent solid will have the highest melting point. The reason I think this is ….

-Which substance melted faster?
- Consider the molecular bonding of the substance in question ! And use what you know about bonding to explain why one sample melted at a lower temperature than the other substance?
- Using your results from the test, make one inductive conclusion about the melting points of ionic and covalent solids.

Experiment E :

* This experiment uses oil and water*

Purpose: to test the capillary action of polar and nonpolar liquids.

Hypothesis: I think the polar/ nonpolar liquid will have the greater capillary action. The reason I think this is ……

-Which liquid was able to move up the capillary tube easier?
-Explain how this liquid moved up the tube without a vacuum or other force being applied to the tube externally.
-Using your results from this test, make one inductive conclusion about intermolecular cohesion of polar and nonpolar liquids.

Experiment F:

Purpose: to test the surface tension of polar and non-polar liquids.

Hypothesis: I think the polar/ nonpolar liquid will have the greater  surface tension. The reason I think this is ….   

-which liquid has greater surface tenison?
-Using a diagram and a written description, explain why this liquid has greater surface tension.
- Using your results from this test make one inductive conclusion about intermolecular cohesion of polar and nonpolar liquids.

Experiment G:
Purpose: to test the ability of polar and non-polar liquids to dissolve an ionic and a covalent solid.

Hypothesis: I think….
The reason I think this is …..

-Which liquid was a greater solvent?
-Using a diagram and a written description, explain how the electro negativity of this molecule increases its solvent ability.
-Using your results from this test make one indictive conclusion about the solvent of polar and nonpolar liquids.
Read 9263 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I will assist you with the first one.

Experiment A

Purpose: To observe the shape of an ionic solid and a covalent solid.

Hypothesis: I think the ionic solid will display a regular orderly crystal shape because of the strong electrostatic force between oppositely charged bodies.

Which solid has greater definition and regularity?

Salt

Which solid is a crystal lattice with intermolecular bonding?

Sugar

Draw the intermolecular bonds of the crystal lattice stricture.

See Attachment... Should look something like that. The dashed lines are the intermolecular forces.

How would intermolecular bonding change the physical properties of substance?

It can change the:

- Viscosity
--Resistance of a liquid to flow is called viscosity.
--It is related to the ease with which molecules can move past each other.
--Viscosity increases with stronger intermolecular forces and decreases with higher temperature.

-Surface Tension
--Surface tension results from the net inward force experienced by the molecules on the surface of a liquid.

-Energy Changes Associated with Changes of State

-Phase Changes

Using your results from this test make one inductive conclusion about the geometric shape of ionic and covalent solids.

The regular geometric shape of ionic crystals is evidence for an orderly array of positive and negative ions. In covalent solids, the constituent particles are atoms of same or different kinds. Covalent bonds network, forming a continuous giant interlocking structure of atoms throughout the crystal that hold them together. Therefore, the shape of the crystal isn't as orderly as in ionic bonds.

The rest are yours Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
flower555 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
can u please help me with the rest of these i am truly struggling it's not like i am asking u for the answers but i am really really struggling please help me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I will give you my explanation on E and G. Which part are you confused about? Perhaps I can show you some tutorials that may help clear up the subject - you must be a little more specific.

Experiment E

Polar liquid has a much great capillary action that non-polar liquids. Capillary action is due to adhesive forces - attraction of liquid for molecules of the tube if the tube has bonds of the same polarity as the liquid.

Experiment G

Likes Dissolve Likes. For a substance to dissolve the cohesive energy of the bonds holding the solid or liquid solute together, and the energy cost of disrupting the solvent-to-solvent bonds must be overcome by the cohesive energy released by the formation of the solute-to-solvent bonds. Thus there are two energy "costs" (one solute/solute and one solvent/solvent) and two energy "gains" (two solute/solvent bonds). If these energies are approximately equal, which occurs when the solvent and solute molecules are structurally similar, then the substance will dissolve in the solvent. Hence the saying: "Likes dissolve Likes.".

Having said that, do not take the guiding principle too literally. It is only a guiding generalization to which one can find many exceptions, because what are the "Likes" is not always easy to sort out. And what one means by "dissolves" is very loose. For example, what about partial solubility versus miscibility (total solubility over all concentrations).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1215 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274