n
C
z
AugustePiccard AugustePiccard
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Hello All,

On a recent backpacking trip here in northern New York, in the central Adirondack Mountains, I stumbled upon some mushrooms that I think might be the 'Fly Agaric' mushroom, or  Amanita muscaria.  What do you think?  I'm also interested in the two, 3-leaved plants at the bottom of the first picture.  Know what they are? A high school biology teacher told me that they produce aspirin, but he teaches at a Evangelical Christian school so I don't know if I should trust his science.  Also found a really cool coral fungus.

the 'Fly Agaric?'

I think that is Clavaria zollingeri

Cheers!
Read 1555 times
11 Replies
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he'll fish for a lifetime.

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Know what they are? A high school biology teacher told me that they produce aspirin, but he teaches at a Evangelical Christian school so I don't know if I should trust his science.

That's funny. Well, acetylsalicylic acid is found mainly in willow bark and other plants. I don't think it's found in fungi species, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The first mushroom kind of looks like the japanesse mushroom, Amanita muscaria.

DJ
wrote...
12 years ago
What about the second one? Yep, it's a Fly Agaric.
wrote...
12 years ago
Hmmm... a little more internet research and I discovered the fungus to be Amanita flavoconia, not the Fly Agaric, but a toxic relative.  Good thing I didn't eat 'em  Wink Face  Any idea on the plants though?  The two at the bottom of the first picture...
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he'll fish for a lifetime.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
The one in which you refer to as a plant:

I think that is Clavaria zollingeri

Is also a fungus.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago
I know that Clavaria zollongeri is a fungus.I'm talking about these plants:
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Hey AugustePiccard, do you mean the orange thing in the middle or the green leaves. If you are referring to the former, it's a mushroom, but if you're referring to the latter, those are just ordinary leaves you'd find in a forest. I'm unsure to be honest. Did you feel their texture, were they thick by any chance?
wrote...
12 years ago
hmmm... I'm not very good with Paint, but in that picture I did my best to circle them and draw arrows to them.  They have three, saw-toothed, leaves.  Each leaf has three lobes.  They are not especially thick in texture.  The extract does kind of have a sour taste, which could very well be acetyl salicylic acid, but I'm looking for an I.D. on these.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
acetyl salicylic acid, but I'm looking for an I.D. on these.

I doubt it, that's derived from willow bark.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
AugustePiccard, have you tried an online plant identifier?

http://saximontana.lakeheadu.ca/database/identifierFrame.htm

I tried it, but it seems like it's not working like it should Neutral Face
wrote...
12 years ago
Wow, I wouldn't even know what to enter in half of those fields.  I guess I'll have to go back to the field and make some better observations.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Wow, I wouldn't even know what to enter in half of those fields.  I guess I'll have to go back to the field and make some better observations.

I, too, haven't really looked at (studied) plants for nearly three years now. At one point, I actually knew what all those terms meant lol Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  943 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?