t
k
j
Doctor-2-B Doctor-2-B
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
7 years ago
The slope of the graph of ln(k) vs 1/T represents -Ea/R so when you multiply by R (8.314), you get Ea. I just can't figure out why the Ea is actually (incorrectly) higher for the catalyzed reaction? Can someone help guide me?

I mean at (approximately) the same temperatures between uncatalyzed and catalyzed reactions, the catalyzed is MUCH faster, so the Ea should definitely follow suit and be correct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Spreadsheet located at http://expirebox.com/download/a24438f1b8786e84c7dbd64c828e4322.html
Read 320 times
3 Replies
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Replies
wrote...
Subject Expert
7 years ago
Hi,

I actually re-do your work a few times, but still come up with the same answers, so I don't think it's calculation errors. You're right that the Ea should be much smaller for the catalyzed reaction. One of the explanations off the top of my mind that can account for this mismatch of observation and calculation is human error. Regarding the calculated Ea for catalyzed reaction is higher than the uncatalyzed ones, the slope of the graph is based on the differences in y and x-axis: (y-y)/(x-x), so this means that what matters is the differences between the y axis and the x axis of each data set and not how big the number from one data set compared to other numbers from different data set. At this point, I would recommend you to ask your TA for what to do next, since each TA grades differently. In the attachment is one of the example about lab that I found online. I apologized that I couldn't be more helpful this time.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Doctor-2-B Author
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
7 years ago
I'm guessing the times are just wrong maybe? Thank you for taking a look, btw.

Hi,

I actually re-do your work a few times, but still come up with the same answers, so I don't think it's calculation errors. You're right that the Ea should be much smaller for the catalyzed reaction. One of the explanations off the top of my mind that can account for this mismatch of observation and calculation is human error. Regarding the calculated Ea for catalyzed reaction is higher than the uncatalyzed ones, the slope of the graph is based on the differences in y and x-axis: (y-y)/(x-x), so this means that what matters is the differences between the y axis and the x axis of each data set and not how big the number from one data set compared to other numbers from different data set. At this point, I would recommend you to ask your TA for what to do next, since each TA grades differently. In the attachment is one of the example about lab that I found online. I apologized that I couldn't be more helpful this time.
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Answer accepted by topic starter
Laser_3Laser_3
wrote...
Subject Expert
7 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free