y
t
h
l
rizza mae rizza mae
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I recently went onto thyroid medication. The doctor said to take med's one hour before breakfast in the morning, and keep soy out of your diet. How does one do this?
Read 581 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Ahh..another person who has to be anti soy heh. Soy suppresses thyroid function to the unlucky many. I live a soy free diet, and to be honest with you, it's really not that hard. It's just a matter of making your own food, and reading labels when you buy food. The main thing you have to look out for is Soy Lecthin. It's almost everywhere. Again the only way to keep soy out of your diet is to seriously LOOK at the ingredient list. First look under the ingredients to see if the product says "CONTAINS SOY" or "Made on equipment shared with soy" or "Made in a Facility that processes soy". If you see that, put it down. If you don't, skim through the ingredients for soy. If you're eating out, ask if anything contains soy in it...just to make sure. But I really wouldn't bother eating out until your thyroid is better because sometimes, waiters don't even know. Good luck, best wishes to your health and look at those ingredients!
wrote...
11 years ago
I have been on thyroid meds for about 35 years and I am also vegan, so I eat soy and my thyroid is perfectly under control with the meds.....I also have never paid attention to the timing...my mom takes the same SYNTHROID meds I do, and she takes hers at night before bed....as  long as my blood test comes back good every 6 months......I have never had any issues....but each doctor is different I suppose.
wrote...
11 years ago
Think.

About 3 billion people on this planet eat a lot of soy.

Don't you think we'd hear if 3 billion people had thyroid problems?

I would not worry about eating soy.

I would worry about what information sources your doctor is using.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  534 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 335

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?