× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
rjcool123 rjcool123
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Lets say without any downforce, a 1000kg car is able to take a corner (radius 10m) at 10m/s. The total force is [mv^2 * r] 1000*10^2/10 = 10,000 N. Now lets say that the car has 5000N of downforce, will the total centripetal force, and therefore cornering speed increase using the same equation?

(If you dont get what I mean, the total centripetal force on the car is now 15,000N(?). So the speed at which the car can now take the corner will (?) be able to take the corner at:
15,000=1000*v^2/10
150,000 = 1000*v^2
150=v^2
v=12.25m/s)

Is the equation right? Do I have the right idea? If not, what do I need to change?

If you could answer any of these I would be very grateful, also by all means post any additional related information you have on this. Thanks in advance.
Read 445 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
First, we need to clarify one assumption:

When you say:  "Lets say without any downforce, a 1000kg car is able to take a corner (radius 10m) at 10m/s. ", you need to keep in mind WHY the car is able to take the corner at that velocity.  You don't mention anything about a banked turn, so let's assume the roadway is flat.  Otherwise, the banking could be providing the centripetal force.

In an unbanked turn, the only force available to provide the necessary centripetal force is roadway friction.  This frictional force is proportional to the down-directed (normal) force Fn, but it is not equal to it.  That's where the coefficient of friction ? enters in.

If we ignore "downforce" (i.e., that caused by aerodynamic modifications -- ref. 1), then the only source of Fn is the weight of the car:

(1)  Fc  =  ? * m * g  =  ? * Fn  [Fc is centripetal force]

and the following must hold:

(2)  ? * Fn must be  >  m * v^2 / r.

If you add 5000N of normal force (downforce), then

(3)  Fn'  =  m * g  +  5000

and (2) becomes

(4)  ? * (Fn') must be  >  m * v^2 / r.

So you only get an additional (? * 5000 N) of centripetal force to play with.

If the turn is banked, then you need to consider also the horizontal component of the force normal to the bank.
See ref. 2 for more info on that situation.

Reminder:  Be sure to choose a Best Answer before the 4 days expire!  Thanks in advance.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1259 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274