t
m
p
m
cutie pie cutie pie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
I have a question, where I was given a large square with a side length (width) of x m and inside of that square, is a small square with a side length (width) 5 m. The large square part was shaded in the inside. I was then asked to find the area of the large square and the small square, and determine an expression for the area of the shaded part (But no factoring)
How is this done?
After that part I was required to factor the expression and determine an expression for each dimension. Lastly, I was told that if x = 8 m, determine the actual value for each dimension.
Thanks to anyone who can help me with this (:
Read 87 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hello,

Could you write the question word-for-word and/or provide an illustration?
cutie p. Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Here's an illustration I did, if you still need the questions word-for-word, just let me know!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
If you're looking for the shaded part, you'd subtract the smaller square from the larger square

x^2 minus the area of the smaller square, which is 5 by 5.

A = x^2 - 25 would be the expression. This expression is factorable as well, as it's a difference of squares:

Therefore:

A = (x - 5)(x + 5) [factored form]

If you're given the value of x, substitute it in to get the area of the shaded region.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  969 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 378