× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Nanny4242 Nanny4242
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi can anyone help me with these questions
Activity 8
Let’s declare the value you just obtained to be the “normal” flow rate for the purpose of this exercise.
Now decrease the right flow tube radius to 2.5 mm, and run another trial. How does this flow rate compare with “normal”?
Leave the right flow tube radius at 2.5 mm radius, and try to adjust one or more other conditions to return flow to “normal.”
Think logically about what condition(s) might compensate for a decrease in flow tube radius. How were you able to accomplish this? (Hint: There are several ways.)
Circle the correct term within the parentheses: Decreasing the right flow tube radius is similar to a partial (leakage / blockage) of the aortic valve or (increased / decreased) resistance in the arterial system. Explain how the human heart might compensate for such a condition.
To increase (or decrease) blood flow to only one particular body system (e.g., digestive), would it be better to adjust heart rate or blood vessel diameter? Explain.
Complete the following statements by circling the correct response. (If necessary, use the pump simulation to help you with your answers.)
a. If we decreased overall peripheral resistance in the human body (as in an athlete), the heart would need to generate (more / less) pressure to deliver an adequate amount of blood flow, and arterial pressure would be (higher / lower).
b. If the diameter of the arteries of the body were partly filled with fatty deposits, the heart would need to generate (more / less) force to maintain blood flow, and pressure in the arterial system would be (higher / lower) than normal.

Read 8181 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
a. If we decreased overall peripheral resistance in the human body (as in an athlete), the heart would need to generate (more, less) pressure to deliver an adequate amount of blood flow and arterial pressure would be (higher, lower).

b. If the diameter of the arteries of the body were partly filled with fatty deposits, the heart would need to generate (more, less) force to maintain blood flow, and pressure in the arterial system would be (higher, lower) than normal.

For the complete answer, please contribute to the forum...
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Nanny4242 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi how do i contribute i am new sorry!
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Hi how do i contribute i am new sorry!

It takes time lol, post answers, answer questions, etc.

Look at all these unanswered threads:

Rightwards Arrow https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2471.msg8738#new
Rightwards Arrow https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2446.msg8635#new
Rightwards Arrow https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2445.msg8634#new
Rightwards Arrow https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=2441.msg8630#new
- Bachelor of Science
maye Author
wrote...
12 years ago
If we decreased overall peripheral resistance in the hu- man body (as in an athlete), the heart would need to generate ( less) pressure to deliver an adequate amount of blood flow, and arterial pressure would be ( lower). I did the experiment and this is what I got! I hope it helps.
maye Author
wrote...
12 years ago
And this is the second part ....part b)
If the diameter of the arteries of the body were partly filled with fatty deposits, the heart would need to gener- ate (more) force to maintain blood flow, and pres- sure in the arterial system would be (higher) than normal.
maye Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Circle the correct term within the parentheses: Decreasing the right flow tube radius is similar to a partial (blockage) of the aortic valve or (increased) resistance in the arterial system.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Circle the correct term within the parentheses: Decreasing the right flow tube radius is similar to a partial (blockage) of the aortic valve or (increased) resistance in the arterial system.

Please start a new subject whenever you ask a new question.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Duddy, those are the answers lol The user is not asking for assistance!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1273 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292