s
s
b
c
juliabreslin juliabreslin
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
I need to know what I need to charge an electolytic capacitor?
How do I calculate what type of resistor to use with voltage and Farad?
Do I need a multimeter?
Thanks
What do I need to buy as a power source?
Read 397 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
you decide what current is safe, say 1 amp.

Then R = E/I where E is the battery voltage, and I is 1 amp in this case.
Power dissipation is E*I

You can calculate how long it takes to charge, by 6*R*C, and if that is too long, you can think about a smaller resistor, but 1 amp will charge most caps quickly.

But, the easier way, unless you are dealing with huge caps or very high voltages, is to just use a 100 ohm 5 or 10 watt resistor for everything.

wrote...
11 years ago
It would be helpful to know what size capacitor and to what voltage you wanted to charge it to. Basically you charge a capacitor by supplying a current to it. As you do the voltage increases up to the charging voltage compliance limit.

If you wanted to charge a one mcrofarad cap to 10 volts it would be quite different than if you wanted to charge a 10 Farad cap to 2 volts.

You can use a multimeter to measure the increasing voltage on the cap as you charge it. You would use a DC power source to supply the charge, through a resistor to limit the surging current.

Don't exceed the voltage rating of the cap and be sure to observe the cap's polarity!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1122 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 10
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?