d
a
g
j
tonydahtiger tonydahtiger
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Why are the vector and parametric equations ideal for projectile motion? How do you find a projectile?s maximum height, flight time, and range?
Read 1037 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Vector representations of motion are useful because a vector captures information on direction, and not just speed.

For example, here are two vectors, each describing a projectile that has a speed of 3. In the first one, it is moving along the positive x-axis  (3i). In the second, it's moving along the positive y-axis (3j).. Vectors typically use an i,j,k notation to indicate motion along x,y,z axes respectively.

V = 3i + 0j
V = 0i + 3j

The path of a projectile has components in both the horizontal direction (how far is it downrange) and vertical direction (how high is it). These can be treated independently, as a function of time.

So, you have on parametric expression that describes position, velocity, acceleration, etc along the x-axis (horizontal motion) as a function of time, and another expression that describes position, velocity, acceleration, etc along the y-axis (vertical motion)

Parametric representations allow you to break apart a complex motion and independently describe the motions along the x, y an z axes separately as a function of a common parameter. Typically this would be time, in projectile motion problems.

The maximum height of a projectile is based on its initial launch angle and inital velocity (ignoring wind resistance and other effects).

The equation is  
H = [  (Vo * sin(LA))^2 ]  / (2 * g)

Where
H = height (meters)1
Vo = launch velocity  (meter/sec)
LA = Launch angle  (straight up = 90 degrees, horizontal = 0 degrees)
g = gravity  (9.8 meter/sec^2)

Check out the link below for other equations describing ideal projectile motion including flight time, range, time in the air, etc.

Hope this helps,

-Guru
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1855 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 262