s
a
t
i
r
toni_malvina toni_malvina
wrote...
11 years ago
I am going to make an automatic canon in the sandbox game gmod, but I have never taken a physics class.  The projectile will have a constant initial velocity, and will usually be fired on a map with level ground (though I may modify it later for uneven ground as well).  The only thing I can controle is the direction and the angle at which it is fired.  Thanks for the help Smiling Face with Open Mouth.
is the sin2(variable) in the denominator?
Read 334 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The formula for the distance a projectile will travel fired with initial velocity v and angle ? above horizontal is

d = v²/g * sin2?

the maximum distance is obtained at ? = 45º

g = 9.8 m/s²;  v in m/s and d in m.
wrote...
11 years ago
The unambiguous equation for level ground is:

R = [Vi²*sin(2?)]/g

Uneven ground is a bit trickier.  Email me when you come to that part.  I have all the eqs handy.
wrote...
11 years ago
You could set the intial coordinates of the projectile to be at (0,0) and then you can find the horizontal range by using the recipe as follows:

In the horizontal direction the accelertion is zero since the cannon is not dependent on any acceleration in the vertical direction.
dx = v0*cos?*t + 0 + 0

In the vertical direction you do have acceleration so
dy = v0*sin?*t - (1/2)gt^2

When the height of the distance as given by above goes to zero (when it falls to the surface) then you get (1/2)gt^2 = v0*sin?*t and then basically you have the time, so substitute that back into dx and it becomes v0^2 *sin(2?)/g
wrote...
11 years ago
The formula already given is okay for short range artillery where air resistance, coreolis effect and curvature of the Earth are insignificant. If you want to hit a small target a 1000 km away, you'll need more complex formulas.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1271 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741