s
a
t
i
r
rlaehgns rlaehgns
wrote...
11 years ago
the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to the plane containing the two vectors. what does it signify? i mean it cold be anywhere, why perpendicular to the plane only. i know the right hand screw rule, but what is the meaning of it being perpendicular to the plane of the two multiplied vectors.what difference will it make if i take it in some arbitrary direction. or is it just a notation.
Read 528 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It is merely a definition used by mathematicians and physicists.

a x b = moda. modb. sintheta. n(hat)

is the axiom someone invented many years ago which is useful for some problems.
More complications arise  when one realises that a x b is not really a true vector but a pseudo-vector but this does not worry a lot of people!
wrote...
11 years ago
The right hand rule is a decent tool to use, but it does leave a little to be desired...

It's a matter of what the math below the term "cross-product" is.  The main reason we have a process such as taking the "cross-product" of two vectors in a plane is to find the vector (usually used to describe torque) that results.  So it's sort-of an intentional tool that we use.

I have a teacher that said several times that "the cross product is useful as a measure of "perpendicularness"?the magnitude of the cross product of any two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes if they are perpendicular.  But if they are parallel, it scales down to zero."

If you check out the math of taking the cross-product of two or more vectors it gets a little complicated, whether or not your doing it algebraically or with matrices.  The fact that absin(?) may be used in some cases is more of a shortcut and isn't the entire mathematical process.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1267 People Browsing
Related Images