F
a
u
o
Smntnl Smntnl
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
11 years ago
I know that they are both gram negative and rod shaped. I just do not know how they differ.
Read 433 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Fortunately, I read about this few days ago. Here is answer for your question:

Salmonella and E. Coli are both bacteria - but they are very different. Salmonella typically comes from contaminated chicken or eggs (not all chicken or eggs) and is acquired by undercooking them, as you say. It can cause a nasty case of food poisoning.

E. Coli typically comes from contaminated beef or produce that has come into contact with beef feces used as fertilizer. But there are only a few strains of harmful E. Coli - some strains are not harmful and actually live in your gut all the time. The media stories of recent years have portrayed all E. Coli as bad. This is misleading, it is only a few strains from contaminated beef that have caused problems.

On a general note, there are several types of bacteria that are actually good for you and required for normal function of your digestive system. These are found in foods like yogurt and pro-biotic supplements.

All you really need to know is to adequately cook all meat to kill bacterial contaminants, but don't be afraid of all bacteria - some of them are good.
Answer accepted by topic starter
datpiffdatpiff
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 290 words.