a
t
i
r
BrailBrailer BrailBrailer
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm at my first year in molecular biology in university,however I have ADHD(been like this since a kid).I passed trough elementary school and high school mostly because the teachers were impressed by my knowlege of biology and chemistry,since this is the one thing I'm obsessed with and I spend a lot of time reading E-books about science,(I specifically spent a lot of time talking to my biology teacher about the "Molecular Biology of the Cell-5th edition" book.)I barely passed subjects like history and math,I got into university because they only had a biology exam(which I aced).Now the problems I have in university are 3:

1.I can't concentrate on the lectures,so I usually skip them.I only go to the lectures of the cell biology lecturer,cause I think he's cool,but even that is hard.My brain just fries when I try to forcefully concentrate for hours at the lectures,my attention span just drops out,I just start thinking about other random stuff.When I get home I'm extremely tired mentally from all that forcing,I just drop on my bed to sleep,when I wake up I have dinner,then fall to sleep again and there goes my day Frowning Face

2.Math - I'm not sure what my problem with math is.I'm really good at problem solving and at understanding and implementing algorithms and coding computer programs with them(I got to make a living Smiling Face with Open Mouth),but when the math exercises begin I get the first couple of minutes,then I zone out and with the months,the amount of stuff I miss out on this way piles up,so when the session comes I don't know how I'm gonna learn it all Frowning Face

3.The students - I can't get along with most of the students here and I don't fit into the ''student lifestyle'' - they get dead drunk every day(I would never pour that stuff into my body) and they spend all night in discos and night clubs.The irony is,that even with all that,they can still out-perform me,since they have this ability to sit down and study,with me it's so hard,I don't know what to do.One thing is for sure - I am NEVER going to take ADHD medication,I'd rather get kicked out than take stimulants.

All of this is really piling up on me and I've been really neurotic lately,I don't know how long I'll last.And it's only my first year.
More and more I'm starting to get these ideas that I would have never though of before - to drop out and just get a random day job,to save myself from the stress.

P.S. please excuse bad grammar,english is not my native language
Read 933 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
1.I can't concentrate on the lectures,so I usually skip them.I only go to the lectures of the cell biology lecturer,cause I think he's cool,but even that is hard.My brain just fries when I try to forcefully concentrate for hours at the lectures,my attention span just drops out,I just start thinking about other random stuff.When I get home I'm extremely tired mentally from all that forcing,I just drop on my bed to sleep,when I wake up I have dinner,then fall to sleep again and there goes my day

If lectures are not your thing, then I think you are adult enough by this age to make the decision to attend or not to attend. Lectures weren't my favourite part of the school, especially when class sizes are large; this was intimidating for me. If you attend, there is no need to force yourself to concentrate. Bring a laptop or tablet into class and search the web periodically, just for fun. I used to search the internet whenever a lecturer would use a funny word or mention something really interesting, like a concept. Just make sure you can catch up later in the day after the professor posts their notes online.

2.Math - I'm not sure what my problem with math is.I'm really good at problem solving and at understanding and implementing algorithms and coding computer programs with them(I got to make a living ),but when the math exercises begin I get the first couple of minutes,then I zone out and with the months,the amount of stuff I miss out on this way piles up,so when the session comes I don't know how I'm gonna learn it all

Math can be difficult in university due to time constraints. If time constraints are an issue, speak to the professor to see if they can accommodate that for you by having you write tests in a quiet room with extra time.

3.The students - I can't get along with most of the students here and I don't fit into the ''student lifestyle'' - they get dead drunk every day(I would never pour that stuff into my body) and they spend all night in discos and night clubs.The irony is,that even with all that,they can still out-perform me,since they have this ability to sit down and study,with me it's so hard,I don't know what to do.One thing is for sure - I am NEVER going to take ADHD medication,I'd rather get kicked out than take stimulants.

Drinking is not a bad thing; however, I agree that you don't need to get drunk to have a good time. That said, not all university students fit your archetypical description. I never drank or attended parties in university because I was studying so often. ADHD medication can do wonders for some students. My friends would take some once in a while, just for the heck of it, for studying purposes. I, however, would go to the library for hours to study.

All of this is really piling up on me and I've been really neurotic lately,I don't know how long I'll last.And it's only my first year. More and more I'm starting to get these ideas that I would have never though of before - to drop out and just get a random day job, to save myself from the stress.

I remember I wanted to quite within the first two months of university. It is hard, no question about that. Remember, though, that everything at the beginning is hard, and requires time to get used to. It took me a semester until I finally felt in control, kind of like how I felt in high school. Just relax, keep calm, study at home (in a quiet place), and take PLENTY of breaks. You might even find that studying at night might be very effective.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
wrote...
11 years ago
Brail, I do not subscribe to the concept of a "college dropout." I would consider college more like Mixed Martial Arts or boxing. If it takes you 10 years to obtain the degree it takes another person 4 years to obtain then so what. There is something to be said even for preserving for 10 years - especially if you have personal obstacles in your way that have little to do with simply or only being lazy.

I would recommend taking one or more semesters off before failing out of college.

Medical leaves are possible if approved by your adviser and I believe your dean.

Before your school fails you out they may have a policy of putting their students on academic probation if they're GPA falls below a certain level.

But taking one semester - or three years  - off from school is not the end of the world or the greatest sin one could commit. It might at times be wise for the individual.

Also, with respect to your time struggles with mathematics on exams, you might consider going to a free testing given by a psychology department at a university, where a graduate student likely will be administering various tests to you over several evenings. If from the results of your tests it's determined you have certain learning ability challenges, the grad student and the professor over seeing their work, can write an official report recommending your school provides you with extra time for your exams with math problems.

Good luck.  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1237 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4