f
a
d
c
illsternog illsternog
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
How far do you think we have come?  How much more is there to know?  

Will we ever understand the way the universe works to the point where we can actually start going out there and exploring the universe?

How much do we know with certainty about quantum physics?
How far will we go with technology?

Wormholes, teleportation, power generation, FTL travel, "Artificial" gravity for ships?
Read 429 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
well, quantum machanics is still at its' birth i know it sounds like bs but its the newest scientific field there is.

how far do you think we have come? i think not that far, science is only about 400 years old, there is everything to know, everything implies an endless possibility of knowledge, theres always going to be beyond what you discovered.

we will understand the way the universe works, actually thats what scientists are doing now, if they know how the atom works, they know how the universe works, and thats what the grand unification theory attempts, to solve the theory of everything, space travel is just another way of saying exploring the universe, were concidering colonizinng the moon in a few decades.

quantum machanics is perhaps the most unsettling theory that science has ever encountered to this point, its ugly, but it works out so perfectly, and it predicts many things, thats how the laser came to be in fact, technology will be an ongoing process untill the day of the extinction of the human race, technology will advance farther and farther.

and yes alllllll those things are possible, all of these things have been created before by people,

wormhole= blackhole = created by LHC (granted they all evaporated within nanoseconds but they were still created Wink Face   )

teleportation= in 1992 an experiment was performed on teleportation and was successful, they successfully teleported a photon.

power generation= ? im not sure wat u mean, power generation.... something like an eather?  well einstein believed this eather existed. so i believe it is still yet to be found

artificial gravity= performed by a secret government project but i will not go into details
wrote...
11 years ago
I'm looking at one the books that I used back in grad school, "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics" by Mandel&Wolf and I smile at this question.

We have come a long way, we know more about Quantum Mechanics that we can possibly test in the experiment. As someone directly involved in quantum devices in industry, I'm pretty comfortable with our knowledge. Lasers, semiconductors, etc. work on very well known quantum principles."Wormholes, teleportation, power generation, FTL travel, "Artificial" gravity for ships?" all that I don't know if it is even possible. Remember, no matter what, technology is always limited by the laws of physics. There are things that are just not possible. Imaging something is nowhere near enough to make it work.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1081 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 432