d
c
a
r
fire4830 fire4830
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
It seems as though all photos of space and other planets, etc. are always on a horizontal axis. Why never vertical? What does space look like directly up? Are there any photos/videos of it?

If you don't understand what I mean take this for example. Say you're in space looking at Earth from the side. What does it look like directly above where Earth is? And lightyears above that?
Read 684 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
I suggest you either try a LOT harder to articulate your question, or leave the thinking to the competent.
I have no idea wtf you are talking about.  What does "...looking at Earth from the side." mean ?
How do you look at a sphere "from the side"??
Earth based telescopes observe patches in the sky (planets, moons, asteroids, stars, galaxies) over the course of many minutes (or hours) and so they have to track those patches as they move across the sky.  In case this is too complicated a notion for you, let me state the obvious: a long exposure time picture taken with a camera pointing straight up would just contains streaks since all objects would move into the field of view and out of it.  A short exposure would only capture poor images of just the brightest objects.  The atmosphere overhead is the thinnest and most transparent, so OBVIOUSLY we prefer to image things when they are overhead.
-=-
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "horizontal axis".  There is no "horizontal axis" in space.  I suspect you are massively confused.
wrote...
11 years ago
It just depends on your point of view. For example, if a space ship were to approach earth from an orientation where it was upside down with respect to the earth, the aliens inside wouldn't know which end of the earth was "up" and they would think the top of the earth was the south pole. If you want to see pictures of the heavens as you would look at them in the sky, lie down on your back and hold the pictures out in front of you.
rk
wrote...
11 years ago
I guess because you never look for any. I see them all the time.
wrote...
11 years ago
I get what you're asking, and in truth when we're looking at space outside of our galaxy, that's the angle where virtually all the pictures are from, when we try to photo the "side" the light from the massive number of stars in the milky way makes the pictures harder to discern in as much detail. We can only see what's IN our galaxy from that angle, not beyond it. So we need to look "above" and "below" the plane of the rest of the galaxy in order to get good pictures. Imagine a hundred people with flashlights standing on both sides of you shining them at you, it'd be hard to see what was going on with all that light in your face, so to see something clearly, you'd need to look either up or down.

Of course we can see to the "side" as we know what's in our galaxy, but if you meant space outside of our galaxy, we have to as I said look "up" or "down" or our own galaxy gets in the way of our view.

Sorry on behalf of those that don't know how to answer a question politely.
wrote...
11 years ago
We live on a sphere, so everywhere is space above us. Close to Earth we usually think of down as toward the center of Earth and up as the opposite direction. Light years from Earth up and down have little meaning, but we can arbitrarily choose a direction to call up. In most directions nothing but a few dim stars are visible in typical directions we might call up.   Neil
wrote...
11 years ago
I seems to me that you have the common confusion of thinking that "up" or "vertical" mean the same thing to everybody, when you are talking about space.  I'm going to guess that you mean the direction that astronomers call "north".

There are plenty of pictures of space around the North Celestial Pole.  However, there are no solar system planets there, because they all orbit more or less in the same plane.  This plane is called the "ecliptic", and all the planets have orbits within plus or minus 7 degrees of it.

The North Celestial Pole is a popular subject for photos and videos, because a time-lapse shows nice circular star trails.  See the second link for an example.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1320 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 365

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?