a
t
i
r
Rkamu Rkamu
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm in AP Physics and am struggling with this concept! Can someone please help me? I understand that trajectory motion can be shown using a parabola, and therefore both initial and final velocity would have the same y-value. However, that is as far as my teacher got in explaining it.  Can someone explain why the y-values would be equal?
Read 623 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Well just think of it like this. the hight that a projectile reaches is equal to the amount of energy that the force of gravity has taken away from it. it reaches its maximum height (it is instantaneously motionless) when the force of gravity has taken away all the kinetic energy associated with it.

now when the projectile falls back the force of gravity must give it the same amount of kinetic energy it removed from it at its initial height. Its just the law of conservation of energy.

hope this helps.
Answer accepted by topic starter
rkearl27rkearl27
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 340 words.