a
t
i
r
Ilovebios Ilovebios
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I'm having difficulty finding oxidation states of each element in cetain compouns that contain polyatomic ions that either give me one Oxygen or Hydrogen.
Like for instance, in HNO3, when I'm told that the total charge is 0, I know that H will be -1 and O will be -2, so I can find N to be
1 + x + 3(-2) = 0
And eventually I'll find N's oxidation state to be +5
But I'm at a loss at what to do when I'm given something like
Ni(NO2)3
When the total state for is 0 or something, I try to solve by assuming Oxygen is always -2 but I don't know what to do about N, should I assume it's -3? If I do that Ni will come out to be 21. And that doesn't sound right. If I'm doing something wrong, someone tell me.
Read 687 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
In NO2- N has o.n. +3
In fact in HNO2 N has o.n.
+1 + x + 2 (-2) = 0
x = +3
In Ni(NO2)2
we have
x +( 2 x 3) + ( 4 x -2) = 0
x + 6 - 8 = 0
x = o.n Ni = +2
wrote...
11 years ago
This is an ionic compound with a cation and a polyatomic anion.  You know the total charge on the NO2 is -1 so do this one individually.  
2(-2)+x=-1
-4+x=-1
x=3

The charge on the Ni atom is equal to its ionic charge: +3
So in conclusion:
N=+3
O=-2 (always)
Ni=+3
wrote...
11 years ago
Firstly note that for a complex ion (e.g NO3-, NO2-), the sum
of the oxidation states of the elements will equal the overall charge of the ion.

So for Ni(NO2)3, you must either remember or look up the ionic charge for the nitrite ion (NO2^- ).

So since the overall state of the nitrite ion is -1, the oxidation state of N must be: x + -4 = -1.  

So x = +3.  You only need to consider one nitrite ion as they are all identical.

You can also find Ni oxidation state: A nitrite ion has a -1 charge, there are 3 nitrites attached to one nickel, so to make it neutral overall Ni must have: x + (3 x -1) = 0.

Hence the oxidation state for Ni is +3.

Common ions to remember include sulphates (SO4^2-), carbonates (CO3^2-) and nitrates (NO3^-).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1341 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274