a
t
i
r
r
barry barry
wrote...
10 years ago
How has the chemical composition of the core of the Sun changed in the past 4.5 billion years?  Are earthlings (if any) likely to freeze in another 4-5 billion years?  Explain.
Read 1033 times
4 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
doseofmegandoseofmegan
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!

Related Topics

barry Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
10 years ago
The core of the Sun had an initial composition of 90% hydrogen and 9% helium.  As hydrogen fusion has continued over the past 4.5 billion years the amount of helium produced has steadily increased.  The center of the core now has about 85% helium and very little hydrogen.  As a main sequence star the Sun will continue to brighten slowly.  In another 4-5 billion years the Sun will have a core dominated by helium.  This will force it to change into a red giant.  Therefore, the Sun will only continue to brighten over time and the Earth will only get hotter, never colder.
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Sun continues burn hydrogen into helium in its core, hence core has less hydrogen and more helium.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1250 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?