A
B
j
s
smokeypal23 smokeypal23
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I know that hydronium cation and another anion will form. But if I add more water, will more hydronium ions form? I have also read that an acid which gets completely ionised forms a large number of hydronium ions. What does compltely ionised mean? And why do weak acids form less hydronium ions when added to water? Please tell what "more" and "less" hydronium ions actually mean.
Read 349 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
in the water you have both OH negative ions (@ hydroxide ion) and H positive ions (actually hydronium to be exact H30+) if you add more water to the acid you'll get an explosion basically due to high levels exothermic reaction.

So add acid to water. As the OH negative ions (@ hydroxide ion) are the sources of alkali, it neutralises the hydronium ions present in acid as acid ionises (ionisation ->> formation of ions from atom or molecule) in water to form hyrdonium ion.

Definition of weak acid -> acid that ionises and dissociates PARTIALLY in water to form H+ @ hyrdonium ion (H30+)

e.g. HCOOH + H20 -> (HCOO-) + (H30+)
see, here it forms methanoate ion and hydrogen positive. If you look closer you'd actually see that there is still hydrogen in the methanoate ion, so it ionises partially only; not all hydrogen atoms are ionised into hydronium

Definition of strong acid -> acid that ionises and dissociates COMPELTELY in water to form H+ @ hyrdonium ion (H30+)

e.g. H2SO4 + 2H20 -> (SO4 ^2- ) + 2(H30+)
here, it forms sulphate ion (the sign '^' is to show the charge) and hydronium ion and none of the hydrogen atoms in the hydrochloric acid initially remains. All are completely reacted into hydronium

So, at the same concentration you'll never get the same pH value.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1099 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 405