a
t
i
r
cdavey cdavey
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
The answer that provides correct information about the genotypes for individuals I-1, II-1, and II-4 is..

answer choices on picture. ****

2) use pedigree attatched as well.
Assume individual II-4 has blood type A. The probability of individuals II-2 and III-3 having blood type O, respectively, is

a) II-2 is 0.00 and III-3 is 0.00
b) II-2 is 0.25 and III3 is 0.00
c) II-2 is 0.25 and III-3 is 0.25
d) II-2 is 0.00 and III-3 is 0.25
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 5071 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, spammonia
I'm assuming pink circle=female, and blue square=male, AA or Ai=type A, BB or Bi=type B, ii=type O, AB=type AB (duh)
1.First question (#30) is A
I-1 has two posibillities: Ai or AA
II-1 is complicated, if I-1 is Ai, then II-1 can be AA, Ai, AB , or Bi. If I-1 was AA, then II-1 can be AA or AB only. II-4 could be anything with an A, since one of its offspring with II-3 was AB. This eliminates B and C as correct answers for II-4. D has the wrong answers in terms of I-1 being AA, because I just explained what II-1 must be when I-1 is AA.

2.Second question is D
II-2 can possibly get an i allele from I-1 if I-1 is in fact Ai, but since its father is AB and can only contribute an A or B allele. Since you want an additive ii allele combo for II-2, 0.5 or 50% of the little i allele is contributed from the mother (I-1) and 0.00 or 0% is contributed from the father. II-2 has a 0% chance of being O type since 0*0.50=0 (multiply to add allele effects).
III-3 has a possibility of being O type if her mother (II-3) and father (II-4) each contributed one little i allele each. Mother (II-4)=0.5 contribution of i allele, and same for father if he has an i allele=0.5*0.5 or 0.25 chance of contribution.
You might say that III-3 could have a 0% chance of being type O, but remember that I-1 is Ai? She HAS to be Ai or else II-3 would not even exist as a B type! That means II-3 HAS to have an i allele to contribute to her daughter III-3.
If in fact II-4 was AA, then III-3 could be AB and Ai only. This is not true because II-3 and II-4 had a child that was B, so II-4 HAS TO HAVE an i allele to contribute.
If II-4 was Ai, then III-3 has a 0.25 chance of being ii, and other possibilities of being AB, Bi, and Ai.

I hope this helped! Slight Smile
cdavey Author
wrote...
11 years ago
it helps alot!! thankyou Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
You're welcome, and if you need more help on this, keep the questions coming! Slight Smile
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, alext
II-4 could also be AB! but there isn't such choice, so the correct answer is still A.

(that doesn't affect the 2nd question, because there you take for granted that II-4 has blood type A)
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, spammonia
Yeah, II-4 could definitely be AB, Ai, AA. It could be anything with an A, but its status is so arbitrary in the question that you could label it A-- (just make the assumption off of one allele) and then figure out the other ones and then finally see if one of the three fit for II-4.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1318 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431