d
a
g
j
smokebomb13 smokebomb13
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I keep seed-eating birds which eat grass seeds such as Panicum millet seeds and Canary seed. It is important that I feed them well since I plan to have them breed for me. I found that the germination rate of the Panicum and Plain Canary seeds was zero. Other seeds e.g. white millet and Japanese millet that I bought had at least a 90 per cent germination rate.

I am alarmed because Yellow Panicum makes up sixty per cent of the finch seed mix that I make up.

1. Is seed that DOES NOT GERMINATE nutritionally worthless and if so by how much percentage does the nutritional value decrease from seed that has a 100% germination rate ?

2. What does " nutritionally worthless" mean ? The reason I ask is that I am not sure what it means for won't the carbohydrates, fats and proteins still be present in the dead seed ?

PLEASE explain things to me in some detail.
Thank you.

William
Read 434 times
1 Reply