× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
smluke2000 smluke2000
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I have to do a powerpoint presentation on an example of a marine keystone species i found that the tiger shark is very interesting and i think it will work for this project . . .? if it does what are some key points i should talk about to make sure i clearly identify it as a marine keystone species?
thanks for your help
Read 440 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
For a ppt.. You hav to giv da introduciton of da topic.."Marine keystone species".. That is..::::

Keystone species are those whose presence or absence lead to dramatic changes in ecological and species diversity.

Then.. you shud explain about the tiger shark..That is:::

The tiger shark, Galeocerdo cuvier, the fourth largest predatory shark (after the great white shark, Greenland shark, and Pacific sleeper shark), is the only member of the genus Galeocerdo. Mature sharks average 3.25 to 4.25 m (11 to 14 ft) long and weigh 385 to 909 kg (850 to 2000 lb). It is found in many of the tropical and temperate regions of the world's oceans, and is especially common around islands in the central Pacific. This shark is a solitary hunter, usually hunting at night. Its name is derived from the dark stripes down its body, which fade as the shark matures.

The tiger shark is a predator, known for eating a wide range of items. Its usual diet consists of fish, seals, birds, smaller sharks, squid, and turtles. It has sometimes been found with man-made waste such as license plates or pieces of old tires in its digestive tract. It is notorious for attacks on swimmers, divers and surfers in Hawaii and is often referred to as "the wastebasket of the sea".

A tiger shark may be easily identified due to its dark stripes which are similar to a tiger pattern. It also has dorsal fins that are distinctively close to its tail. These sharks are often large in size and may encounter humans because they often visit shallow reefs, harbours and canals.

The tiger shark is second only to the great white shark, coming close with the bull shark in number of recorded attacks on humans[6] and is considered, along with the great white, bull shark, and the oceanic whitetip shark to be one of the sharks most dangerous to humans.This may be due to its aggressive nature and frequency of human contact as it often inhabits populated waters such as Hawaiian beaches.

Now.. explain about da sub-topics of tiger shark.. lyk its appearance.. its diet n ..dangerous thing about dat shark.. etc!!!

I can giv da information here but u feel tired to study.. n i cant give da total information!!!.. Ok.. well!! I'll give u the link!..

Hope I helped you.. n all da best for ur ppt.. Cheers ^_^
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1103 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587