H
a
c
k
iloveanatomy iloveanatomy
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
This is a question off of my AP-Bio homework that I cant get! "A biologist isolates green-colored organisms from a sample of water from a pond. They contain flagella, a peptidoglycan cell wall, and ribosomes but lacks chloroplasts?
They are classafied as:
a- plant cells
b- photosynthetic animal cells
c- photosynthetic viruses
d- moss
e- photosynthetic cyanobacteria

Im stumped. What do you think?
Read 732 times
5 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
ilocanababyilocanababy
wrote...
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
e- photosynthetic cyanobacteria.

Bacteria has all the three that you mentioned.
wrote...
11 years ago
Photosynthetic cyanobacteria
wrote...
11 years ago
Funny question.  I guess you could eliminate all the photosynthetic choices and since plants do not have flagella, I would go with moss.  Just a guess.
wrote...
11 years ago
Peptidoglycan, also known as murein, is a polymer consisting of sugars and amino acids that forms a mesh-like layer outside the plasma membrane of bacteria (but not Archaea), forming the cell wall. The sugar component consists of alternating residues of β-(1,4) linked N-acetylglucosamine and N-acetylmuramic acid. Attached to the N-acetylmuramic acid is a peptide chain of three to five amino acids. The peptide chain can be cross-linked to the peptide chain of another strand forming the 3D mesh-like layer. Some Archaea have a similar layer of pseudopeptidoglycan or pseudomurein, where the sugar residues are β-(1,3) linked N-acetylglucosamine and N-acetyltalosaminuronic acid. That is why the cell wall of Archaea is insensitive to lysozyme.Peptidoglycan serves a structural role in the bacterial cell wall, giving structural strength, as well as counteracting the osmotic pressure of the cytoplasm. A common misconception is that peptidoglycan gives the cell its shape; however, whereas peptidoglycan helps maintain the structural strength of the cell, it is actually the MreB protein that facilitates cell shape[citation needed].Peptidoglycan is also involved in binary fission during bacterial cell reproduction.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  873 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 303

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?