e
w
j
a
askal askal
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
If diploids have 46 chromosomes and haploids have 23 i dont get how it goes from one with 46 to 4 with 23. 46 divided by 4 does not equal 23
Read 703 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
nursewiz13nursewiz13
wrote...
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 160 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
ok. you have the right to be confused.
lets look at the process in simplest way.

we humans are have 46 chromosomes. that is the number of chromosomes to be human. so, for that number to be retain during FERTILIZATION, our sex cells should have the half number of that (haploid) which is 23 chromosomes.

the one that confuses you is the process of MEIOSIS. there are two stages of MEIOSIS. in MEIOSIS I, homologous pairs are split up. so that each 2 cells will have each set of chromosomes. thats the end of MEIOSIS I with 2 haploid cells. then MEIOSIS will then undergo MEIOSIS II, it is just like MITOSIS in a sense. so the 2 cells will split into TWO IDENTICAL CELLS. remember the initial 2 cells from MEIOSIS I is haploid right? and in MITOSIS the number of chromosomes is retained. so when this 2 initial cells split. it will produce TWO more 23 chromosomes.

so. it is not DIVISION process. it is MEIOSIS.

so in MEIOSIS I: two sets of cells with each set of 23 chromosomes = 2 (23 chromosomes)
in MEIOSIS II: the two sets of cells will go cell division. each cells will COPY IT SELF. so = 2 ( 23 chromosomes)

in total of: 4 (23 chromosomes) from a diploid cells with 46 chromosomes.
zerobiome
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1086 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 146

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?