t
i
r
r
Tonjia Tonjia
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
11 years ago
1. A torque of 0.15 Nm is applied to an egg beater. If the egg beater starts at rest, what is its angular momentum after 0.60 s? If the moment of inertia of the egg beater is 2.3×10^-3 kg m^2, what is its angular speed after 0.60 s?

2. A diver tucks her body in midflight, decreasing her moment of inertia by a factor of two. By what factor does her angular speed change?
Read 1238 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
How do you solve problems for angular speed and angular momentum?

By identifying the correct formula and plugging numbers into that formula.

1. "A torque of 0.15 Nm is applied to an egg beater. If the egg beater starts at rest, what is its angular momentum after 0.60 s?"

What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum? Answer: Torque is the rate of change of angular momentum vs. time.

Thus T = (ang mom)/time or (ang momentum) = torque x time.

"If the moment of inertia of the egg beater is 2.3×10^-3 kg m^2, what is its angular speed after 0.60 s?"
What is the relationship between moment of inertia and angular momentum? Answer: That angular momentum L = I * w where I = moment of inertia and w = angular speed.

So w = L/I

2. Angular momentum is conserved, and L = I * w. So if I is cut in half but I * w is constant, what has to happen to w?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1229 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352