a
t
i
r
emily emily
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
12 years ago
Does anyone know how to make an interaction web- an interaction web for each food source showing the pathway by which wolves might benefit or impede the growth of other animals and species.
I know that wolves eat elks, bisons and deers. But I dont understand about making an interaction web.
Read 1822 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Did some reseed and this is what I got.

An interaction web, shown below, is similar to a topological web, but instead of showing the movement of energy or materials, the arrows show how one group influences another. In interaction food web models, every link has two direct effects, one of the resource on the consumer and one of the consumer on the resource. The effect of the resource on the consumer is positive, (the consumer gets to eat) and the effect on the resource by the consumer is negative (it is eaten). These direct, trophic, effects can lead to indirect effects. Indirect effects, represented by dashed lines, show the effect of one element on another to which it is not directly linked. For example, in the simple interaction web below, when the predator eats the root herbivore, the plant eaten by the herbivore may increase in biomass. We would then say that the predator has a beneficial indirect effect on the plant roots.

I've personally never created one of these so I'm not exactly sure how you could get started.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Is it kind of similar to a food web? So I know the wolf eats elks, bisons, and mule deers. And the elk eats grasses, trees, etc. How do you construct an interaction web on this? Anybody?
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
I think it is a food-web, but with + and -'s, which I don't know what they signify.

Look at the one I've attached below:

Interaction web showing direct interactions in the low zone of exposed rocky shores of Oregon, USA. Minus signs indicate negative effects, plus signs indicate positive effects

If you look at the interactions, they show what you'd find in a food web, for instance, phytoplankton eats nutrients, so you have an arrow pointing to it; likewise, filter feededs eat phytoplankton, so you have an arrow going to it as well. I just know know what the pluses and negatives are for. I think the diagram description explains it.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
You end up figuring this out?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
somewhat. still confused but its all good Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
somewhat. still confused but its all good Slight Smile

What did you end up doing?
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
This was what my web was like:
Wolf___(-)____> Elk ____(-)____> Plant
From wolf to plant Is positive indirect interaction.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
This was what my web was like:
Wolf___(-)____> Elk ____(-)____> Plant
From wolf to plant Is positive indirect interaction.

That was pretty simple.
emily Author
wrote...
12 years ago
yeap but then I also did one for the bison and deer. pretty much the same.
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
These guys were giving you complicated suggestions Undecided
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1268 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274